Surface Navy Association NJROTC Essay Award
This award engages NJROTC cadets in understanding and appreciating the sacrifices of our WWII veterans, Navy core values, and what it means to be a shipmate. SNA Awards Committee will select the top three essays submitted by NJROTC units.
Essays will be accepted between November 1 – February 15 of the current school year. SNA judging will take place between 15 February and 1 March. Winners will be announced 2 April.
- Units are encouraged to conduct a local competition to select a winning essay.
- Units may submit one essay written by a Unit cadet to not exceed 500 words in 12 pitch, Times New Roman font, about service, sacrifice, and the Navy’s core values of honor, courage, and commitment, especially citing examples from the video, “Lifeline: Pearl Harbor’s Unknown Hero” and how it impacts your thoughts on the above attributes.
- Essay should be submitted to SNA by the NJROTC Unit SNSI or equivalent.
Note: The video link will be provided by SNA to NJROTC units.
Type of Recognition
- 1st, 2nd and 3rd place will be awarded to winning essays.
- Cadets will be awarded a cash prize ($500, $250 and $125) and the units they represent will receive a cash award ($1,000, $500 and $250) and a copy of Riders of the Storm.
- Essays will be published in SNA’s Surface Sitrep.