Admiral Zumwalt Award For Visionary Leadership
Deadline Date: October 15
Honoring an officer or senior enlisted person who most clearly exemplifies the extraordinary qualities, vision & incisiveness of the nineteenth Chief of Naval Operations.
- The award will be presented to active duty Navy Members in pay grade E-3 through O-4 who best exemplifies the ideals of Admiral Zumwalt. Two awards will be presented, one E3-E6 and one for E7-O4.
- For those who demonstrate dynamic leadership, operational excellence, unselfish dedication to duty, visionary zeal and exemplary care for personnel under his or her direction.
- The award will be determined by a panel of active duty or retired individuals selected by the Surface Navy Association Executive Committee (nominally one flag officer, two senior officers (O5-O6), two junior officers (O3-O4), two senior enlisted (E6-E9) and a member from the sponsor’s staff).
- To be considered, potential recipients must be nominated in writing by an active duty member who may be equal or junior to them in rank/rate. Each nomination must be accompanied by an endorsement from the Commanding Officer.
- The intent of the award is to empower junior officers and senior enlisted personnel to help recognize those who have improved the readiness of the Navy, the lives of those who man it, & who have the visionary talent that will benefit the Navy in the 21st century.
Note: Nominations should outline leadership qualities and stress visionary qualities. Particularly on how an individual contributed both toward the increased effectiveness of his or her organization, & how the welfare of its people, should be delineated.