Vice Admiral Robert L. Walters Scholarship
The Surface Navy Association Scholar receives an academic scholarship awarded for demonstrated leadership, community service, academic achievement and a commitment to pursuing higher educational objectives.
Mail to: Surface Navy Association, Attn: Scholarship, 6551 Loisdale Ct, Suite 222, Springfield, VA 22150
Note: Application packages must be postmarked by March 1 of the current year. Email and Fax submissions will NOT be accepted.
- Must be a Surface Navy Association Member or dependent child, stepchild, ward or spouse of a current Surface Navy Association Member. The member must be in their second or subsequent consecutive year of membership.
- Member can be serving, retired or honorably discharged and must be a Surface Warfare Officer or Enlisted Surface Warfare Specialist. Qualified members must serve for a minimum of 3 years on surface ships of the U.S. Navy or a Coast Guardsman, Officer or Enlisted, with a permanent Cutterman Pin. Surface ships include carriers, combatants, amphibious, service force, mine force, tenders, and U.S. Coast Guard cutters of all classes.
- The 3 years need not be consecutive but must have been served on active duty.
- There is no minimum service period for children or spouses of personnel who died on active duty while serving in a surface ship or cutter.
- The Surface Navy Association scholarships are for studies in an accredited full-time undergraduate or postgraduate program. Fulltime status may be waived in the case of spouses as long as they maintain a course load of 6 semester hours
Note: Member must maintain current membership throughout scholarship award period if awarded.
Note: The Surface Navy Association will not discriminate on the basis of rank, race, color, sex, national or ethnic origin, or religion in the consideration and awarding of scholarships. Awards will be made on the basis of the individual’s application, using a “whole person” concept, considering the candidate’s scholastic proficiency, non-scholastic activities, scholastic and non-scholastic awards, character and financial needs
All applicants MUST enclose the following with your completed application
A 500 word essay (CLICK HERE for more information)
Please list community activities, athletics and jobs. Please list with date(s) of involvement and estimated amount of time spent per week.
Three letters from teachers, counselors or other persons of influence in your life, other than relatives, who have known you for at least two years and are in a position to address your character, citizenship, and leadership.
Note: Only 3 letters of recommendation will be accepted. Please do not send additional letters.
|High School Seniors (additional requirements)|
|Active Duty or Drilling Reservists (additional requirements)|
|All Others (additional requirements)|